Fred Bauer, Green Giant's Lunch, 1969; lustered ceramic, mother of pearl, platinum
Gift of Ed Cauduro.
Type of Work
Lustered ceramic, mother of pearl, platinum
9 x 15 in. diameter
January 1, 1937
Notes or Bio
Born in Memphis, Tenn. In 1937, Fred Bauer’s irreverent and playful style of ceramic sculpture proved influential during his relatively short career in the ceramics world. Before his retirement to farm life in northern California, he was married to fellow collection artist Patti Warashina.
In addition to the collection of the Museum of Contemporary Craft, his works can be found in the Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse and the St. Paul Gallery and School of Art.
Memphis Academy of Art, B.F.A. 1962
University of Washington, M.F.A. 1964
Archie Bray Foundation artist, 1964
Professor, University of Wisconsin, 1964-1965
Tiffany Foundation grant recipient, 1966
Professor, University of Michigan, 1965-1968
Professor, Aztec Mountain School of Craft, 1967
Professor, University of Washington 1971